Coffee Ice Cream(tweaked from Bakedbree.com recipe)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1 tbsp espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 cup skor bits
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
1) Add egg yolk and vanilla paste in a medium bowl and whisk together. Set aside
2) Combine sugar, cornstarch, coffee, espresso and salt in a sauce pan and whisk together.
3) Slowly stir in milk and cream, heat over medium-high heat whisking constantly until milk begins to boil and the liquid begins to thicken.
6) Follow your ice cream maker instructions for final freezing, adding the skor bits and dark chocolate chips at the end of this stage depending on your instructions.
7) Once it has completed its cycle in your machine, transfer it to a container for storage in the freezer. The ice cream is best frozen for a few more hours.
This ice cream was incredible! It was impossible to not sneak some spoon licks while I was trying to take some photos. Perfect coffee flavour, smooth, creamy and just all around wonderful. The chocolate chips and skor bits added the perfect amount of crunch and sweetness. If I didn't know better I would have thought I was at Cold Stone. Brad made his own "mud pie mojo", mixing the ice cream with some peanut butter, almonds and cookies and cream Hershey's kisses (the closest we had to oreos). He was thrilled. It was also nice to have a natural ice cream. I knew every thing that went into this, nothing artificial, no preservatives. I feel a new addiction for making my own ice cream developing and just in time for spring and summer. I am so excited and so is Brad.
MEG's RATING - D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!