Mixed Fruit Crumble Bars
- 4 cups fresh berries or rhubarb (fresh or frozen), cut into small 1/2 inch pieces.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
INSTRUCTIONS:1) Combine fruit and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fruit is tender about 12-15 minutes.
2) Combine the granulated sugar and cornstarch in small bowl. Stir into fruit mixture. Continue stirring until mixture comes to a boil. Continue boiling until thickened about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside, it will continue to thicken as it sits and cools.
3) Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all crust ingredients in large or mixer bowl. Beat at low speed until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Scrape down if needed so that all mixture is crumbly.
4) Reserve 1 1/2 cups crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of greased 10-inch square baking pan lined with foil. Spread filling over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
I sadly have no "hero" shot for theses. Most of them went to the bridal shower and the remaining went into to work and I simply forgot. It is a shame to because the word needs to be spread on how fantastic these bars are. I am not sure if it was my choice of berries ( I used one cup of blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and rhubarb) that gave a sweet and tart flavour or maybe it was the crunchy crumble base but I love loved these! Yes, it deserved two loves.
I was almost tempted to make them again just so I could take a proper photo, or really because I wanted to eat another batch. I, however did not. Spread the word on these bars people, they are summer berry crunchy heaven.
MEG's RATING : D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!