I have gotten to the point where I need a small break from all the apple baking. Not to say I am done with fall apple baking I just wanted a small break. I did, however need to come up with something that would use up a significant amount of apples as they were starting to pile up. Jeff was bringing me tons of apples and I couldn't use them fast enough. No time and tired =apple slices I do have a food dehydrator and have made apple slices using that in the past but I wanted to give a nice roasted flavour to them. Putting the apples in the oven will also make my house smell absolutely divine.
- Apples - as many as you like really.
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
1) Core the apples. Slice the apples using a mandolin. I used 1.5mm thick.
2) Preheat the oven to 300F. Cover several baking sheets with silpat or parchment. Place the slices on the baking sheets.
3) Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle the apple slices very lightly with the cinnamon sugar.
4) Bake the slices, rotating half through for 30-35 min, depending on how crunchy you like them. Watch carefully as they can burn quickly but the crunchy ones are quite nice. Apple slices will curl and feel dry when done.
I ended up making two large batches of these because co-workers were addicted to them. They were devoured pretty quickly. Some were crunchy, some were soft but all were delicious. I think I will also make another big batch at the end of season and save them for the winter.
MEG's RATING: D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!