Leap day. It seems like such an odd concept no? I was curious as to why it exists, this is what wiki tells me..
"A leap year..contains one extra day... in order to keep the calendar year synchronized with the astronomical or seasonal year. Because seasons and astronomical events do not repeat in a whole number of days, a calendar that had the same number of days in each year would, over time, drift with respect to the event it was supposed to track. By occasionally inserting an additional day or month into the year, the drift can be corrected."
Hmmm.. Interesting stuff. Maybe I will only make these cookies every four year. BAHAHA. Probably not. Happy Birthday to all those who are much younger than they are.
My husband got me Hershey's kisses for Valentine's Day. I am however not a fan of Hershey's kisses to eat. I might have mentioned this before but when I eat chocolates I need to have an additional crunch or texture change. Which is probably why I am obsessed with Mini Eggs, M&M Pretzels and dark chocolate almonds. Luckily my hubby was smart enough to also get me Mini Eggs so I ate those and threw the kisses in the freezer for future baking. The future is now.
Brown Butter Coconut Blossoms
(Adapted from Anna Olson)
Makes 24 cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 24 Hershey's Kisses, frozen
1) In a small skillet, heat butter on mediium heat until butter begins to slightly brown, Remove from heat and let cool. Preheat oven to 350F.
2) In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
3) Place coconut in mini processor and run until it becomes fine.
4) Add browned butter and sugar in a large bowl or your mixer bowl and beat on medium until well combined. Add the egg and vanilla and mix again to combine.
5) Add the processed coconut and mix to combine. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
6) Using a small scoop place the little cookie rounds on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake the cookies 8-10 minutes, cookies will be golden. While the cookies are baking unwrap the Hershey's kisses. As soon as you remove the cookies from the oven gently press the kiss into the cookie. Let cool a few minutes and then place on a wire rack to cool completely. Store in a air tight container.
Is everything with brown butter better? Say that 5 times fast. I think it might be, the nutty flavour is so unique and tempting. It is a great combination with the coconut as well, neither overpowers each other. A new favorite to the blossom cookie category.
MEG's RATING : D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!