Uh, Can you believe Easter is next weekend? I am a little shocked and frankly unprepared. I have barely done any Easter baking. I feel like it has just crept up on me. I guess it is a bit earlier than normal this year but I have no idea what I want to bake for my Easter dinners. Maybe I should look at the massive list of baking "ideas" I just created. The good thing about Easter is that usually means warm weather and it looks like the forecast is starting to change.
I do love my Easter candy though. Mini Eggs/Eggies are my favorite but most Easter chocolates are just pretty and fun. I almost do more easter candy baking after Easter. I stock up when it is on sale and then it is so easy to stuff chocolate eggs in something and you immediately have a great dessert. Like these cookies for example, a banana cookie made that much better with some Easter M&M's
Brown Butter Banana Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter M&M's
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1) Preheat oven to 350F. In a small pan, melt butter over medium heat, gently letting the butter start to brown. It will get foamy and start to smell nutty. Don't let it brown too much. Place a coffee filter inside a metal strainer, place over a large mixing bowl and pour through the brown butter. This will catch any bits that have separated.
2) In a small bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
2) Add brown sugar to butter and mix together with a spatula. Stir in egg and vanilla until combined. Stir in mashed banana.
3) Fold in flour mixture until almost combined, then add M&M's and chips.
4) Using a small scoop , place rounds on a baking sheet lined with parchment/silpat.
5) Bake for 13-15 minutes until golden. Let cool on sheet a few minutes, then move to wire rack to cool completely.
These are almost more like mini banana cakes, that I wanted to eat for breakfast everyday.