I have been a little MIA lately on the blog front thanks to a couple cake orders. One for last week and one for this week. Last weeks cake is below. My first zebra cake, it was pretty fun. This weeks cake is a Barbie cake. I love doing Barbie cakes. They are always so cute and pretty. I just wish I could see the little girls faces when they see it for the first time. Although the one scary thing about barbie cakes is that the barbie is not a complete barbie. It is only a head and torso on a stick that fits into a cake. If that little girl prematurely pulls out barbie from the cake before Mom can get to it she may be in for a mildly traumatic experience. So if you are a mom, have a back up Barbie ready. I am pretty sure I will be making on for my little one in a 4 or 5 years.
It is a blogging friends Birthday. Meghan from The Tasty Fork is having a big online party and several of us are attending with desserts, apps and cocktails. Since I am a dessert blogger I obviously wanted to bring a treat to the party. After I made these Butterscotch Rolo Chex Bars, I knew I had to continue along this path and make more fun creations. Enter these perfect for summer bars.
Want to see what else has been brought to the party. Check out The Tasty Fork on June 17th
Muddy Buddy Smores Barsserves 20
- 5 cups Chex cereal
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup graham crackers crumbs
- Dry Muddy Buddy from above
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 5 large marshmallows (melting)
- 10 large marshmallows - ripped up
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate sprinkles
- 1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
1) Make the Muddy Buddies. Place the cereal in a large bowl. Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips and butter in a large measuring cup in the microwave. Heat on 30 sec intervals, stirring after each until completely melted. Stir in vanilla.
2) Pour this mixture over the cereal, mixing well to coat all pieces. Place the cereal in a large plastic bag.
3) Pour in the confectioners sugar and graham cracker crumbs, seal and toss around to coat. Remove from bag on to a large baking sheet to set.
4) Mix the bar ingredients. In a medium sauce pan combine corn syrup and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat, boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the 5 large marshmallows, stirring until melted.
5) In a large bowl mix together the muddy buddies with the last 4 bar ingredients. Pour the warm mixture over top of this mixture , mixing well, coating all pieces. Press this mixture into a 9x13 pan, lightly sprayed with non stick spray.
6) Let the mixture set and cool. Cut into bars.