Oh right, I am food blogger. I am supposed to be bringing you delicious desserts a lot more often than I have been. Weekends away, Christmas parties, shopping, a sick little one etc etc have seem to gotten in the way.
These cookies were actually meant for a neighbour in exchange for a favor while we were away for a few days. Unfortunately he never got the message from his son and never got the cookies. Instead they were were sent to my husbands work for a potluck party. Still well enjoyed.
I stopped into my work this past week to discuss my return post mat leave. While there they happened to mention that there has been a significant decline in work treats since I left. They seem pretty excited to have me back. Not sure if it is for the treats or for my work but I suspect they are hoping for a new increase in desserts. I don't mind, bringing treats into work means less I eat and more experimenting. *Sneaky, Sneaky*
Salted Caramel Macaroons
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup kraft caramels squares/balls
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with silpat or parchment.
- In a large bowl combine coconuts, sugar, flour and salt.
- In a microwave proof, measuring cup melt caramels using 15 second intervals, stirring after each one. Once melted stir in sea salt.
- Stir in caramel , egg whites and butter into the coconut mixture.
- Shape into heaping tablespoon rounds and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until macaroons are lightly golden and a little firm.
- Let cool on baking sheet a few minutes and transfer to a wire rack.