While the advantages of a pool cover are many, the southside is that it can be difficult to use these covers. However, you can make the work easier if you have a pool cover reel system that comes in handy when covering and uncovering the pool.
There are different types of pool covers, ranging from automatic to hand-cranked ones, that you can get out there. But those covers can be more expensive than making one for your pool.
Thus, you need to know how to make your solar cover reel for your pool. Before we get into that section, we have listed the benefits of pool cover reel.
Benefits of Solar Cover Reel System
The purpose of a cover reel system includes:
- To deploy your cover – when the pool is not in use.
- To uncover the pool – when you want to use the pool.
- Store the cover – when you are using the pool.
Now let’s turn out attention on the DIY solar cover reel above ground pool.
Things You Will Need
Here are the materials that you will need to make your cover reel system:
- Solar cover
- Two bags of concrete
- 10 feet 3/4-inch metal pipe
- 4-inch long ¾-inch nipple
- ¾-inch female 90-degree fitting
- Six 3-inch long ¼-inch eyelet bolts
- Two 4x4x8 treated lumber posts
- Gravel (optional)
- Large zip ties
- Sealant or paint
Tools You Will Need
Here are the tools that you will require:
- Grommet kit
- Wheelbarrow (optional)
- Miter saw, or hand saw or circular saw
- 1/8-inch and 5/16-inch drill bits
- 1¼-inch spade bit
Step-by-Step Guide: The Process of Making the Cover Reel
After gathering all the materials and tools, it is time to construct your reel cover. Follow these steps:
- Set the posts – Dig two holes about one foot apart and six inches to the right and left of the metal supports of your pool. Each hole should have a diameter of one foot and be 18-inch deep.
- Cut the posts – Trim them to fit your pool height (we have gone for 52 (pool height) + 12 (height above pool) + 18 (hole depth) = 82 Inches.
- Put gravel – Just a few inches to ensure that the posts remain leveled. Use the level to guarantee they ae upright.
- Prepare concrete – Mix the concrete in your wheelbarrow with water and stir using a hoe or shovel.
- Fill the holes – Use the mixture and keep the post leveled.
- Put the eyelet bolts – Space then evenly via the pipe, one every side near the posts, and then about 18-inch.
- Drill starter hole – About 1/8-inch bit and then 5/16-inch. Push the eyelet bolts via the hole and attach the nut (tighten with a wrench).
- Drill holes via the posts – About 4-inch from the top using 1-1/4-inch spade bit. Spray the pipe and hole with WD40 and then push the post through. Attach the 90-degree fitting as well as the nipple with a wrench.
- Prepare the solar cover – Cut it to fit the structure.
- Line the tarp up using pipe and note where the eyelets are.
- Use a hole puncher to line up the grommet and other tools – hard bottom tool, and then grommet face up, then a tarp, then washer face down, then large punch tool, and finally whack it using a hammer.
You can now create your own pool cover reel system with ease. Now you can put the cover on/off with ease.
However, are you considering building a pool as well as equip with a Homemade Pool Cover Reel? Review the post to handle the issue.
If you are still wondering what kind of pool you should construct for your property, take a look at the best above ground pool or in-ground one to get an idea of your desired pool.