It was a very exciting weekend. On my way home from work after neglecting to pick up the mail for five days I received a wonderful letter from the Canada Baking and Sweets Show.
I was over the moon. My brownies made the finals. There was one problem however, on Saturday I had a wedding to attend for Brad's cousin Jeff. The wedding was at 2:30 in Barrie and somehow I had to be in Toronto at 2. Toronto and Barrie are about an hour or so apart. Let the frantic phone calling begin. I immediately called my sister and checked with another fellow baker to see if either of them could go and fill in my place. My baker friend was out and my sister really wasn't that excited to go but I begged and pleaded. She managed to find a friend that would go with her and keep her company, so she agreed to go. Phew.
Saturday morning I wake up, get my hair done and then get ready to for the Wedding. We get picked up around 12:30 to head up to Barrie. The wedding was outside at a golf course, there was a cool breeze but the sun was out so it wasn't too bad. A beautiful fall day. I sat there keeping one eye on the ceremony and one eye on my cell phone, that was peaking out of my little silver handbag. I was anxiously waiting for a text message from my sister on the status of the competition. There were 10 categories in the home baking category so neither of us were quite sure when the brownie judging would begin.
2:54pm - "They are eating your brownies"
3:00pm - "OMG you won!!"
3:01pm - "Shut up!"
3:03pm - "Serious! Heather from Cupcake Girls was a judge"
3:04pm - "Yippee"
Keep in mind while all this was going on, our cousins were saying their I do's, so my outside voice excitement was mute. Mute until they walked backed down that aisle, the bar opened and the celebrations could begin. I was very excited, all my blogging and baking hard work over the last several years has paid off. The winner of each category got their name in the paper and the following basket of goodies:
Not sure what I will do with the mixer since I already have one, but a girl can always use more than one, can't she??
Here is my winning recipe. It's been pieced together and adjusted from a combination of recipes.
Blueberry White Chocolate Chip Brownies (Gluten Free)
- 175g unsalted butter
- 175g dark chocolate, good quality
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 200 grams granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100 grams chopped blueberries
- 75 grams white chocolate chips
- 110 grams brown rice flour
- 15 grams cornstarch
INSTRUCTIONS:1) Melt butter and chocolate on low in a medium saucepan or double boiler (if you are afraid to burn it). Stir until smooth, remove from heat to cool slightly.
2) Line a 9 inch square pan with parchment or foil, folding over two sides so it can be lifted out. Spray with non stick spray.
3) Beat eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla together in a large bowl. Add cooled chocolate mixture to egg/sugar mixture and beat to combine.
4) Fold in flour, cornstarch, blueberries and white chocolate chips.
5) Pour batter into pan and bake at 350F for 23-25 minutes. Let brownies cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove lifting up the sides of foil/parchment. Let cool completely before slicing.
I wouldn't have submitted these to the competition if I didn't think these were awesome brownies. Moist, fudgy and chocolaty. It also has blueberries so it's healthy. HA, wink wink.
MEG's RATING : D-EEEEEE-LICIOUS