It is amazing how crazy the stores get when there is a holiday. I don't know if it is people getting ready for company or just the fear that the store is going to be closed for one day, but wow. I need to remind myself of this each holiday and not go grocery shopping the day before. I hate crowds when grocery shopping. Being on mat leave is great because I can go during the day when it isn't that busy. When working I try to go during the week at night, it is so much more relaxing to shop when it isn't busy.
What is my other favorite day to shop, today! Half price Easter candy. I scaled myself back this year and didn't buy as much as I usually do. I just picked up a couple bags on mini eggs which I immediately threw in my freezer for a rain day. Or a day I want these Cone-olis again.
Mini Egg Cone-olis
(adapted from Food Network)
- 1 cup light ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, at room temp
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar, with some for dusting.
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 -2/3 cup crushed mini eggs
- 5 sugar cones
1) Place the ricotta in a sieve over a bowl and let drain in the fridge for at least a half an hour.
2) In a large bowl or mixer bowl, beat together cream cheese, ricotta, sugar and vanilla.
3) Fold in 1/2 cup of crushed mini eggs
4) Cover the mixture and place it in the fridge to thicken, min of an hour.
5) Place the mixture in a piping bag with a large circle tip and pipe into the sugar cones.
6) Decorate with more mini eggs and dust with confectioners sugar
Only fill the cones about 3-4 hours before you are going to eat them as they will softened
These are so simple, light and fun. Oh the possibilities......