When people are on their weight loss journeys they often find it difficult to get in enough exercise. This has never been a problem for me. I am honestly the exercise queen. I pretty much work out 6 days a week unless I am happen to be at the cottage or away on vacation. I am that person that hates when I miss a work out. I also feel that way because of my slow metabolism. By working out I feel it gives me a little more wiggle room on what I can eat.
I am no expert but after many years of working out here is what I stick to.
- All cardio doesn't work. More muscle equals more calories burned. You need weight training to do this.
- I alternate cardio and weights daily
- Try to mix things up as much as possible - this can be tricky
- Don't be afraid of work out videos. The old school 80's videos are out but some great new videos are in and they can really get your heart pumping and muscle burning.
These are my go to videos
- Bob Harper - Anything by Bob will pretty much kill you. I have been doing his videos for quite some time and there are still moves I can barely do. Most videos around 60 minutes.
- Jackie Warner - Simple videos that focus on muscle toning and strengthening. Effective. About 45 minutes.
- Jillian Michaels - Does a lot of dual muscle workouts for maximum burn. Her videos also tend to be around the 30 minute mark which can make them more manageable for people with limited time.
- Tracey Anderson - Her style is all about getting lean, toned muscles. She only uses light weights and focuses on muscle exhaustion. About 45-60 minutes.
- Tae-bo - I know this seems like a blast from the blast but Tae-bo is a great cardio work out that also can help strengthen your core. Still one of my favorites after 10 years.
- If you can't afford to buy a ton of videos, check out Youtube. There are a ton of different people out there who offer short clips of different workouts you can compile together,
I have AT LEAST 10 videos I rotate through on my weight training days. On my cardio days I do Tae-bo, use the elliptical or go for a walk or job. If you can afford it I highly recommend having some form of cardio machine in your house. We have both an elliptical and a treadmill because I got bored of one and needed to mix it up. An indoor machine also helps you to keep going in the winter, rain or even when you don't have the motivation. When you don't have the urge to workout sometimes putting on your favorite show or watching a movie while walking on the treadmill or elliptical can help the time go by faster.
The important thing at the end of the day is to just get moving. If you are new to exercise start off small. When I first started jogging or using the elliptical, I could barely run 2 km and was on the easiest resistance. Over time I set goals to run farther and increase resistance to make my workouts harder. If you are afraid of weights, start of with no weights and slowly move up.
If I didn't work out as much as a I do there is no way I could keep up with this blog and remain the size I am. It is all about balance. The important thing is to find out what works for you and get active. There are a lot of different options out there. When all else fails just use your best exercise tool : Your feet and go for walk.
Do you have an videos you love I should know about? Let me know what exercise works best for you?
Don't forget to take a look at what the other WLW ladies are up to :